26th August 2004
The next thing I did after writing my diary yesterday was looking for food. I hadn’t eaten anything the whole day and my stomach growled as if accusing me for not having fed it so long. Fortunately I soon found a nice little restaurant where I bought a delicious yakiniku. That was yummy! Then I went to Mejiro-Eki, one of the stations of the Yamanote line which circles inner

Crowds of shoppers at the Ginza
Also here people seemed to be in a hurry this morning. I didn’t care and bought an okonomiyaki-pan, a kind of Japanese bread with pancake taste, which I had for the first time and which I ate with relish. Then I strolled along the Chuuou-doori and spent some time with looking at the buildings towering above me, taking photos and filming. On the way I found a nice bookstore where I asked: “Shougaku sannensei, yonnensei no tame no hon ga arimasu ka?” (“Do you have books suitable for primary school, third or fourth grade?”), and got a prompt “Rokkai desu” (“They’re on the sixth floor”) as an answer. So I looked for an elevator and pressed the button. It really surprised me to see a man standing inside the elevator asking me where I wanted to go. I said: “Rokkai” and instantly the man pressed the button. I don’t know if it was a manned elevator again or if I was helped by a dutiful Japanese citizen this time though… Upstairs I asked one more time for those books, was asked “Nihongo de mo yoroshii desu ka?” (“Are books in Japanese alright too?”) and as I answered “Hai, ii desu” (“Yeah, it’s alright”), I was shown a rich choice of relatively easy to read books in Japanese. How happy I was when I started to read and could understand most of it!! I chose three nice novels and bought them. As I walked down the stairs (this time the elevator was too slow to come up^^), I realized that, while reading, the time had passed by awfully quickly and that it was already half eleven. As I left the bookstore, the quite hectic morning atmosphere had given way to a far more relaxed one, the street was crouded with shoppers and the sun was shining. Taking in that scenery made me feel like shopping too and that’s what I did. After window shopping for some ten minutes I found a CD- and DVD-shop which seemed quite appealing to me.
Progressive system for listening to CD’s
Inside I listened to a few CDs what you could do on listening stations where you didn’t have to open the CD cover but coud simply scan the barcode with a laser scanner. Once the central computer recognised the CD, the listening station started downloading the contents of the CD from it and started to play them. By the way, the maximum listening duration was limited to 45 seconds per track, which sounds annoying but actually has the advantage that you don’t have to wait very long for a listening station. After listening to a few J-Pop CDs I also looked through the DVDs in the basement and bought one DVD and tree CDs in altogether. Oh my god, I just LOVE J-Pop! Why, oh why can’t you buy that stuff in
Street interview at the
Coming out of the CD store, I walked on heading for Nihonbashi where you can see, marked with a stone, the point from which until today the road distances in
Not an especially nice sight but as to so many things, you get used to it quite soon.
Starting poing for measuring streets in
Next, I headed for Kanda, according to my travel guidebook famous for its countless bookstores. While I walked through the streets I could indeed see a lot of stores only that they weren’t bookstores… Not that it makes any difference…^^
Clearance sales Japanese-style
I went on to Yushima where I visited the Yushima-Seidou, and old and quite big temple. The garden and the forecourt in front of the entrance were bewitchingly nice but unfortunately the main hall itself was closed except for Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. What a pity! But nothing one can do about it...
Statue in the
Only a few buildings down the street there is also the Kanda-Myoujin, a very beautiful Shinto shrine. After I had taken a number of photos I could see an old Japanese lady praying: First he threw a coin into the big box standing in front of the shrine, then he clapped her hands twice and folded them, bowed and remained in that position, praying. Then she went off. I emulated it instantly, of course. And of course I prayed for a happy future in
Kanda-Myoujin
The next place for me to visit was Akihabara, the paradise for everyone into electronics, one electronic shop after the other and they’re all trying to lure in customers with flashy neon signs and commercials blaring out of storefront speakers. Since there was still daylight the signs weren’t that effective though and I resisted the temptation, walking on and looking for a phone box to phone
Akihabara – still at daytime
Most interesting for me were the Japanese denshi-jiten (electronic dictionaries) because they are really cheap and handy and you can’t buy them in
Akihabara at night
So I rode the underground to Roppongi, notorious for its discos, clubs and long nights and, really, it’s quite lively! As I realized that I hadn’t eaten anything except my okonomiyaki-pan, I bought a delicious gyuudon, a bowl of rice topped with small cubes of beef and some nice sauce, at a Yoshinoya store and filled my belly well. After I couldn’t eat anymore I went for a stroll and then I took the underground back to the minshuku. And here I’m sitting now and writing – and listening to the Kuraki Mai CD I’ve bought today. I’m feeling quite tired already and so I’ll see to go to sleep soon.
Oyasumi!!









0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home